This inscription is one of several incised on the steps leading to a ruined shrine near the reconstructed porch known as ‘the Stone Canopy’ or ‘Burrows’ Pavilion’ in the area of the Abhayagiri vihara at Anurādhapura. Eight of these inscriptions remain legible. On the basis of palaeographic evidence, they can be dated to the second half of the sixth century or the first half of the seventh century. They register grants of money by various individuals to the Abhayagiri-vihāra for the maintenance of slaves.

Bibliographic information

Edited and translated by Senarath Paranavitana in Epigraphia Zeylanica 4 (1934–41): 136–141, no. 16, VII.

Inscription Concordance

Epigraphia Zeylanica 4 (1934–41) 136–141, no. 16